Almond Joy candy bar lovers will appreciate this healthier version of the sweet treat. The Almond Joy shake was originally made to be a ViSalus Shake recipe, but I’ve found it’s great with any vanilla protein powder shake mix.
Although this shake is sweet enough to be a dessert, it’s healthy enough to supplement your diet at any meal. Skim milk and raw almonds add essential nutrients and flavor. Combined with the cocoa powder and coconut pudding mix the Almond Joy protein shake is decadent and healthy.
Protein shakes have gained significant popularity as a convenient and effective way to supplement one’s diet with additional protein. Incorporating protein shakes into your daily routine, consuming them once or twice a day, can offer several benefits that contribute to overall health and fitness goals. However, it’s important to remember that individual nutritional needs vary, and consulting a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian before is recommended.
Here are some potential benefits of including one or two protein shakes in your daily diet:
1. Muscle Recovery and Growth. Protein is a crucial macronutrient for repairing and building muscles. After a workout, your body needs amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, to repair the microtears that occur in muscle fibers during exercise. Consuming a protein shake after a workout can help provide your muscles with the necessary nutrients for recovery and growth.
2. Convenience. Protein shakes are incredibly convenient, especially for those with busy schedules. They can be prepared quickly and consumed on the go, making them an excellent option for a post-workout snack or a quick meal replacement when time is limited.
3. Weight Management. Protein can help you feel full and satisfied, potentially reducing your overall calorie intake. Including a protein shake in your diet can help control hunger and cravings, making it easier to manage your weight and stick to your dietary goals.
4. Nutrient Intake. Protein shakes are often fortified with essential vitamins and minerals, providing a well-rounded nutritional profile. This can be particularly beneficial if you have specific dietary restrictions or are looking to increase your intake of certain nutrients.
5. Aid in Muscle Preservation. As you age or when you’re on a calorie-restricted diet, your body may start breaking down muscle tissue for energy. Adequate protein intake can help preserve lean muscle mass, and protein shakes can assist in meeting your protein needs, especially if you struggle to consume enough through whole foods alone.
6. Support for Active Lifestyles. Athletes and individuals with high physical activity levels have increased protein requirements. Protein shakes can provide an efficient way to meet these elevated needs and enhance performance and recovery. The best part of this tasty protein shake is that it leaves me feeling full and satisfied.
7. Variety and Taste. Protein shakes come in a wide range of flavors, including chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and more. This variety can make it easier to satisfy your taste preferences while still getting the necessary nutrients. It’s so tasty even the teenage girl in the house asks me to make it regularly. Who’d have thought a protein shake could be so tasty to so many people?!
8. Prevent Muscle Loss during Weight Loss. When you’re trying to lose weight, there’s a risk of losing muscle mass along with fat. Consuming sufficient protein can help minimize muscle loss during weight loss, and protein shakes can be a convenient way to boost your protein intake without drastically increasing your calorie intake.
9. Blood Sugar Management. Protein can help stabilize blood sugar levels by slowing down the absorption of carbohydrates. Including a protein shake with a balanced meal can contribute to better blood sugar control, especially for those with diabetes or insulin resistance.
Remember that while protein shakes offer these benefits, they shouldn’t replace a well-rounded diet that includes a variety of nutrient-rich foods. Whole foods provide a range of other essential nutrients that shakes might lack. It’s always advisable to use protein shakes as part of a comprehensive nutritional strategy tailored to your individual goals and needs.
Feel like getting a little creative? Try adding some mint extract or fresh mint to add some brightness. I’ve always thought there should be a mint version of the candy bar too, so this variation on the shake has my mouth watering – how about you?
Also, if you use dark chocolate cocoa powder you’re getting a great dose of antioxidants and other great nutrients, which can’t be said for the candy bar that’s so prominent on grocery checkout line shelves.
Beat temptation with an Almond Joy Shake
The next time you’re feeling tempted by that bright blue packaging while you wait to buy your weekly grocery supplies, get home and make this tasty Almond Joy shake. Make a healthier choice. You will be glad you did. And you won’t be sacrificing the sweet, coconutty goodness you’re craving.
Mounds lovers, don’t fret! Simply deep six the almonds in this Almond Joy Shake recipe and you’ve got a Mounds protein shake instead! You could also try it with other nuts if you’re not a huge fan of almonds.
What did you think of this sweet, healthy Almond Joy Protein shake? Did you love it as much as I do? Be sure to check out some of my other shake recipes for more great variations!
Featured Visalus Shake Recipes
Funky Monkey Protein Shake – My number one choice in the morning!
Cadbury Egg Protein Shake – This Cadbury Egg Protein Shake fills my craving, let’s me have the egg without over doing it and gives me some necessary nutrition.
EggNog Protein Shake – Using skim milk and light eggnog plus pungent spices, it’s the perfect Christmas shake.