Itchy, flaky dry skin. It makes me crazy! Eczema is a frustrating skin condition… and it’s tough to find good natural eczema treatments… I’m not a fan of chemical-based treatments. In general, eczema is a lack of oils and fats in your skin which causes it to become inflamed. The space between the skin cells becomes larger, which can allow bacteria and other irritants to enter more easily. Most soaps make this worse because they strip away the oils and lipids your skin normally produces. I normally use aloe vera to treat eczema that is out of control but the following are great ways to manage and try to avoid outbreaks.
Coconut, Jojoba and Shea Butter for Natural Eczema Treatments
This remedy is easy to make and store. Each of the ingredients on their own have been shown to help skin retain moisture. Combined, it makes a wonderful, powerful cream.
Here’s what you’ll need:
-2 tablespoons Shea butter
-2 tablespoons beeswax
-6 tablespoons of coconut oil
-4 tablespoons of jojoba oil
-Lavender essential oil (optional)
-Airtight tins or glass jars
Using a double boiler, melt the beeswax and jojoba until liquefied. Then coconut oil and stir until it is fully incorporated. Finally, lower the heat and add the Shea butter, stirring as it melts. Shea butter gets added last and at lower heat because a little more heat sensitive. It can also get grainy further along its shelf life. Pour the mixture into airtight glass jars and add a drop or two of lavender essential oil, if desired. Allow it to cool and cover for storage.
Apply liberally to affected areas as needed.
Oils don’t work for every eczema sufferer. Vegetable glycerin can be a great alternative in those cases. Food-grade vegetable glycerin is 99.7% pure. The remaining 0.3% is water. As you can imagine, this makes it ideal for restoring moisture to your skin and filling the gaps between skin cells. Start with a 1:1 ratio of water to vegetable glycerin. Blend them in a spray bottle and spritz on your skin as needed. Once you see how your skin reacts, you can play around with the ratios to find the right mix for your skin.
What other natural eczema treatments have helped you tame the itchy, inflamed skin? We’d love to pass them on to our readers!